Drop Out is a serene destination for creatives to spend time in solitude working on their art, and it is a place where writers and makers connect with each other. There are some unique aspects of Drop Out:
- It is a no-tech environment. No cell service, no internet, no Facebook, no texting. There is a landline. Laptops are quite okay when working solo. Presentations and group activities are more pen, paper, and tea cups in hand.
- When you come, you leave your other work lives and your family or neighborhood responsibilities behind. This time is for you to go deep with your art and to experience a no-mind flow. It is intended to be generative, but solo process work is a wonderful outcome too.
- We are currently housed on Orcas Island, the world-class destination of jaw-dropping natural beauty and simple living. Orcas and its dwellers prefer quality things over a quantity of them, and this outlook seeps into the experience of being here. Orcas is slower in pace than most of the world, and it is fertile ground for making.
- Visiting artists at Drop Out are encouraged to interact with the community by hosting a small workshop, a salon, or a casual discussion during their time here.
- Drop Out is not an academic environment. We are here to seek, make, to generate new, try something entirely different, or finish the twelfth bestselling novel.
- Drop Out seeks to elevate the knowing we all possess to a shared plane, and because of that, more easily access inspiration and juice. We disconnect from our usual work-life modes at Drop Out including academia.
- Drop Out is all about new voices, experimentation, and open forum. There are no topics too raw; there are no lyrics too subtly feathered.
Wanna drop out? Yeah, you do. Much warm,